Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Going Green

I think we are really helping global warming?? I'm just SO concerned about it. If you can't hear, it's tongue and cheek. I do, however, have a problem contributing to so much landfill waste. So in the interest of the environment and $$, I have chosen to recycle...ALOT. Well, Mike helps out quite a bit. I'll give credit where credit is due. Since he travels to "the valley" every week, we save all our plastic, metal, etc. and send them down with him to put in the city of Gilbert recycling bin my parents have. We don't really have that kind of recycling in our town. Good think it's clean garbage. We do have paper recycle. Our sanitary district needs it to compost our waste. Yea, pretty gross. I know first hand, having gone on a field trip there. Smelly too. There are a couple of places we can drop it off and it's usually always on our way to and fro. You probably ask, what's the $$ interest? Well, I'm glad you asked. We cancelled our garbage service, saving us $20 a month. We recycle so much that we only have one garbage bag full a week or 3 walmart bags. I recycle there too. I use my Walmart-type bags as my garbage bags. Although Walmart and Safeway, both, have recycling for extras of those too. I take my extras there. Anyway, our good friend Raymond started recycling paper too and now we share his garbage. Or we use our neighbors across the street who is more often then not, staying in their home in "the valley". They don't mind that we use it and we are grateful. You may ask, how does the garbage company feel about this? Answer: They don't mind at all. I called and discussed my options with them. They do have other plans, like every other week garbage pick up. When I asked them about sharing a can, they pretty much said, Go for it. Work it out with your neighbor and it's good with us. So, the moral, where there's a will to save 20 bucks, there's a way.

No comments: