Friday, August 28, 2009

Summer Campfire Fun

I love where I live. We live where people come to camp. Hence, we have made a fire ring in our "side" yard. Since a lot of the Utah family hasn't been here, I'll give a brief description. We live on 1/3 of an acre, not a square 1/3. It is fairly long and narrow. Our back yard isn't very deep. We originally fenced it so the kids could play in the back and I have piece of mind knowing they weren't wandering off. Now it's to keep the dogs in. We do have a bit of "yard" to the side of our house which isn't fenced where we have our wood pile and a second driveway should we need it. Since we don't use the driveway much anymore because it's pretty washed out from monsoon rains, Amelia and I made a fire ring. I decided I wanted to do this because a lot of our friends have one. But their homes are more off the beaten path. Ours is very visible and I've been afraid that if we attempted this, we'd for sure have a visit from the fire station. Since one of the captains is in our ward, I asked him what the rule is. He said that we are allowed one warming/cooking fire without a permit. AH-HA! I can legally do it, even if someone calls the fire dept. So for Friday night, I made plans to roast hotdogs, made 3 bean salad, corn on the cob and make s'mores. The girls got to invite one friend each. Unfortunately, Mike was traveling home from his job in Mesa. I needed a friend so I invited Raymond, who would have been invited anyway. I was really anxious for this bonfire, and a bonfire it was. It also wasn't very cold. It was so hot that we had to sit several feet from the fire until the sun went down. All in all, with good food and friends, it was a blast. We can't wait to do it again.
Singing Girls' Camp songs

1 comment:

Shannon said...

ya, I can't believe that is right next to your house. It looks like a campsite! How fun!