Thursday, August 6, 2009

Utah....There We Came

One thing led to another, which led to another, which resulted in a 3 week summer vacation to Utah. I can't think of a better way to spend summer break than with family. We had a great time. It was nice to not be rushed and to cram so many things in. We started our trip with a family reunion with Jen's family and ended it with a family reunion with Mike's family at Bear Lake. Since I'm not Elisha, I didn't get many pictures. And when I did try to take some pictures, some how I got sand in the zoom of my cheap, point and shoot camera that it wouldn't take pictures and still won't. So I rely on my cell phone for nice, grainy pictures. We had many fun things we did with family in between the reunions...4th of July parade with Shan and Matt's family, fireworks with Matt and Elisha (thanks for the s'mores!), a missionary farewell with yummy roast beast, sending a missionary to the MTC and many other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. I want to share some of the things we did on our own that you might not be aware of. Mike and I attended the temple 2 times in one weekend, the Logan and Bountiful Temples. Allie got to do baptisms at Logan as well. Allie and I also did temple work at the Salt Lake Temple. Allie spent the night with Stefanie to do baptisms early the next morning before Stef had to go to work. I woke up at 4AM to attend the 6am session, so I could be done at the same time Stef and Allie were, and hopefully see General Authorities walk down the hall to a meeting, which they never had. But that's okay! We enjoyed the temple in all its glory. So that made it 3 times for Jen and 2 times for Allie. We were on a roll. We also went to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple open house. Let me pause for a moment. Being there in Utah and making a point of attending different temples and pointing the different temples out to the girls really made a difference in our trip. I realize since we've been home what a spiritual lift I had gotten during that short 3 weeks. On our trip home we passed 9 temples. WOW! I just think that's incredible. I wanted the 2 younger girls to feel the spirit of the temple and to have a picture in their mind of what temples look like. So when Mike and I go to the temple, they might be able to visitualize it and remember how they felt when they were there. What a neat experience to share with them.
Just love those doorknobs! The Garden of Eden Trees
Oquirre Mountain Temple
Hiking to Mt. Timpanogos Cave is an adventure we are all glad we took on. It was only 1 1/2 miles but it was straight up and, of course, straight down. It was tougher than I expected but well worth it. Once we left Timp, we drove to Provo via the back way through the canyon. It was so beautiful, but very windy and made Amelia car sick. We drove by Bridal Veil Falls, the Provo Temple, the MTC and, of course, we had to visit the BYU Creamery. Not before we ate at Olive Garden, on the corner of University and 2200 N. (I think that's the address). That building holds significance, in that, it used to be the Tepanyaki, where the shrimp bounced off Mike's forehead, during a celebration following his brain surgery. BYU Creamery
Fry Sauce....only in Utah
We had a quick tour of the Church History Museum, Temple Square and the Conference Center. (Thanks for coming with us Emma. Hope you had fun.) Now for a funny story. We had walked around the Museum and Temple Square long enough that we needed to feed the meter before we went to the Conference Center. When we got to the car, Amelia jumped in. She was waiting to drive there. Well, little did she know that we were parked right across the street from it. When I told her that she said, that's not THE Conference Center. Allie and I kept assuring her it was and she still didn't believe us even when she saw this sign. When we walked in, a sister greeted us and said "Welcome to The Conference Center." Amelia still didn't believe her. The only thing that convinced her was when we walked in to the huge room where everyone sits. THEN she believed it. What a silly girl!
The view from the Conference Center Roof
Church History Museum - They asked, "He's that big??"
In the Tabernacle

Cherry Pickin' Fun (Thanks Katrina!)

Total Picked: 220lbs Total Earned: $70 Total Fun: Way Too Much
Puppies getting lost in Grandpa's garden (I thought there was going to be another heart attack) How Sweet It Is
Our trip was full of so many wonderful things, I'm sure I've missed some of them. Some of these pictures describe what we did, even if it wasn't bogged about. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for letting us intrude for so long!

No comments: