Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Puppies Are Here

Before

After




These are the new arrivals! They came Thursday, May 21st, starting at 7:50pm, delivering the last puppy at 10:41pm. She had 5, but we only have 4 living. That 5th one was still born. We have 2 boys and 2 girls. We've named them, Big Girl, Big Boy, Little Girl and Little Boy. (I don't want any of us to get too attached to these little things since they will be sold!) Sadie was a champ! She never freaked out, panted, whined or anything. She just popped those puppies out like it was nothing. They are so tiny. If you can believe, they have really grown in the last few days. They are still like little mice. The girls and the whole neighborhood are so excited. We have visitors on a daily basis. Sadie is doing so well. She could be awarded "Mother of the Year". She is so attentive. I couldn't be happier. I invisioned needing to hand feed these little critters every 2 hours. Thank goodness I don't need to. Whew!
Tails....or no tails....that was the question.

For the faint of heart, don't read on. As customary with Yorkies, their tales are usually docked, ie, cut off. It needs to be done within the first day or two of birth or it's too late. So, Mike being the courageous guy he is, read up on it through the internet, got the cutting board and butcher knife out and did the dirty deed. Of course, they were a bit wiggly and needed a second hand to hold the tails. Oh, it was horrible. Anna and Amelia were crying. I was holding the tail with my eyes closed and ears plugged with a shoulder and my other hand. Unfortunately, I could still feel when it was cut through the tail. Did I say it was horrible?

With tails

Without Tails
I should have layed a ruler by these too. They're not even an inch!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I'm looking at little dog tails!! Thath's awful- you are so brave. But the puppies are so cute. Will they fetch a fair price?

Anonymous said...

I should have come over and seen them. They are so cute! Terri

Elisha said...

Yeah, those little tails sitting there in a row was a little...unsettling. That's so fun for you guys, though! It almost makes me want one...but not quite. Yeah, I want to know how much you're going to sell them for too! Use the money to take a trip up here! Or use the money to fly us down there! :) J/K

Jen said...

The plan is boys for $500, girls for $600 (the females are worth more cuz they can produce more puppies :D) PS this is Allie!