Sunday, September 7, 2008

Thundercake

Thundercake by Patricia Polacco is how we were introduced to thundercake. I have read this book to the girls over the years. But not until today, did we make the cake, the recipe being in the back of the book. There is an unexpected, weird, secret ingredient. I guess you'll have to read the book to find out what it is. The cake was/still is delicious. Especially delicious paired with MarGene's fudge frosting.

I didn't want monsoon season to pass again before we missed opportunity to make thundercake again. We have had a terrific season with lots of rain. Sometimes the storms bring really loud thunder, hard and fast rain and hail. I rather enjoy it. I love the smell of rain. The book, however, is about a little girl who is afraid of thunder. Her Babushka helps her overcome her fear by gathering all the ingredients for the cake and then baking the cake, getting it into the oven just in time. What a fun story.

3 comments:

Lise and Pete said...

You are such a fun mom! Maybe you can pass on the recipe...that looks SO delicious! Love Ya! :)

Shannon said...

please please please tell me the secret ingredient! I'm serious. The second you tell me it's secret, I just gotta know. And let's be honest- I'm pretty sure I'm not going to read the book, at least not right now. It sounds cute and I'd love to read it to Kara...someday.

Donovan Hansen said...

Oh come on- it's obvious that thunder is the secret ingredient. We put that in our pancakes all the time, gives them a nice zip.