Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Solemn Gathering

Mike, my sister, Cheryl, and I had the opportunity to attended a funeral for a beloved family friend. Carolyn Larsen's passing was not unexpected due to her failing health over the last year. It was so wonderful to be reunited with their whole family and other friends at her memorial service. A highlight for me was being able to participate with the music on the spur of the moment. As musical as their family is, they had not arranged for an organist and chorister. I was able to lead the opening hymn. As the service progressed, I felt that I really wanted to play the closing hymn. When I was 17 years old, a senior in high school, I was called as the ward organist. I, then, thought that it was because there wasn't anyone else. I now know I was being tutored for my future church service. I am now the ward organist. Carolyn was the ward chorister, by my recollection. Even if she wasn't officially called as such, she did lead an awful lot. It was under her wing that I learned to play hymns at a proper tempo. If I didn't start a hymn at the tempo she wanted, she would wave her arms fast enough and sing loud enough that I had to follow her. Because of this endearing experience with Carolyn, I really felt like I wanted to do this last thing with her/for her. I had to ask the lady who volunteered for the opening hymn if she would mind allowing me to play the closing hymn. She agreed. I feel priviledged to have been able play on this occasion. It wasn't a planned thing on paper, but I feel it truly was the plan. This memorial service, besides being funeral like, was so uplifting because of the few words that were spoken, the spirit that was there and the beautiful music shared by friends and family. Many musical numbers were performed by the children and it was of top notch quality. What a priviledge to be in attendance. I hope that I can, some day, be memorialized the same way as Carolyn was!

No comments: